Harvey and I have been cooking at home lately instead of eating out all the time, in a bid to save the pennies before we travel to Bali, Malaysia and Hong Kong later this year. We adapted this recipe from one we spied in The Love & Lemons Cookbook as we had, well, More Sweet Potatoes Than We Could Handle, and it turned out to be one of our favourite dinners yet. It’d taste amazing with peppers as suggested or even with aubergine and courgettes, but this is what we had to hand and it was pretty damn good. Let’s begin…
- Soft tortillas, white or wholemeal is fine!
- 2/3 large sweet potatoes
- Baby spinach
- Cracked black pepper and salt to taste
- Chilli flakes
- Pickled onions (simply slice up red onions and drench in white vinegar and a touch of salt for a few hours)
- Red Leicester cheese – grated
- Mozzarella cheese – grated
- Coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 180.
- Chop up your sweet potatoes into fries or wedges to your preference. At the same time, slice some into rounds or cubes: these will go into your quesadillas whilst the others are to have on the side.
- Season well with black pepper and chilli flakes or to your own preference. Rosemary always goes down a treat! Pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Whilst those are cooking, assemble your quesadillas.
- Cut your tortilla into halves so you have half-moon tortillas.
- Layer Red Leicester cheese, chopped up spinach, coriander and pickled onions into one half of each tortilla.
- Once the sweet potato rounds/cubes are cooked, add these to the quesadilla.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and fold over.
- Heat up some coconut oil in a grilling pan.
- Carefully place the quesadilla into the pan and grill for a few minutes. Around 3-4 minutes will usually brown them off perfectly!
- Turn carefully (I find that flipping them with the folded side still touching the pan is a great method!) and grill for a further 2 minutes or until your cheese is lovely and melted.
- Serve with sweet potato fries!