I happened upon this completely mismatched recipe when my boyfriend picked up a batch of protein powder that tasted absolutely disgusting. And no matter how much we tried to change the flavour by using different milks or adding flavourings, it was still foul. I mean, you live and you learn. We decided instead that it’d be better to use the protein powder for baking and to finally try some of the brownie and cookie recipes floating around. After all, it is infinitely more fun to eat your nutrients instead of drink them! 😉
This recipe is vegan and absolutely delicious. I made a few adjustments to the first batch that we tried and although they’re not as chunky as your usual brownie, this can be corrected by doubling the amounts given and just filling up your brownie baking tray.
The ingredients are all easily accessible. Like I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts and on Instagram, my protein blend of choice is Her Free Soul‘s Vegan Protein Blend. I find it incredibly good at boosting my protein intake as well as adding essential magnesium, zinc and amino acids to my diet that contribute to healthy hair, nails and hormones. I have hand-on-heart seen a difference in the way my body functions after incorporating this to my diet. There’s a vegan and non-vegan option available on their site, and I personally think it’s delicious as a drink too.
Please note: You should never replace meals with a protein drink. Always use them to support your regular diet.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 cups nut butter (peanut/almond/cashew)
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- Optional: 1 generous drizzle Sweet Freedom Choc Shot
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C. Grease a brownie baking tray or line with greaseproof paper.
- Mash your ripe bananas. Overripe bananas are best, although it’s fine to pop them in the microwave for a few seconds too!
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the bananas and nut butter until smooth.
- Sift your dry ingredients in and fold in until a batter forms.
- Optional: Drizzle in some Sweet Freedom Choc Shot for a rich chocolatey taste.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Bring out to cool and then cut into 9 pieces.