Early this year, I decided to try my hand at the eponymous 2013 Jar Project as coined by our old frenemy, Tumblr. A nostalgic and somewhat whimsy idea, the jar project basically involves a Kilner jar, some paper and about 10 seconds of your day to write about something that made you happy or feel anything. (Read my original post here.)
I’m not very rigid with things like these and subsequently my jar became unused from about June. But having spent a good hour last night sifting through kawaii printed paper and my hastily scribbled notes, I think 2013 was a little better than I remembered or realised. Seeing my memories in a tangible form has aided my mood to no end, as embarrassing as some of these are. So without further ado, here’s a brief recap of my top 5 favourite memories…
- Apparently I’ve been embroiled in some what of a romance. The 1st was spent selecting puppy names, delegating walk shifts, looking at the brightest stars I’ve ever seen, and it’ll go down as one of my favourite January 1sts.
- The Dream Team girls gifted me with an INSANE selection of presents for my 22nd. Including a Golden Egg piggy bank (Triwizard Tournament-esque) and inside was the poem and all. Ladies, I salute you. (Aisling, Elodie, Hannah, Lily, Sarah F, Sarah S, Sophie and Tanya are babes of the highest order. Emma, we’re awaiting your return!)
- 2013 saw me completely make up, reunite and discover one of my best friends again. Kayleigh was my rock throughout secondary school and we fell out before I left for Uni but we made amends late in 2012, and now I couldn’t imagine life without her again!
- Hungover pedal boating, Marylebone nights out and Team Arcadia has been a semi-highlight of my year. As someone who is terminally shy and not too much of a night out girl, I really feel that 2013 brought me out of my shell and, in turn, I’ve made some amazing friends at the office. Friday sushi feasts and 1-hour adventures will live on forever.
- My parents surprised an overworked me with a birthday holiday to Hong Kong back in March. I flew back for 5 days at my little apartment, saw friends and family, found my roots again and shopped until I dropped. I also then became the proud owner of my very first piece of Chanel leather. I came home with new ideas, ambitions and with a lovely one awaiting.
Overall, 2013 has been a year of extremes. Nothing has felt to be in place, yet it hasn’t felt worlds away either. I’ve been floating between places, goals and people, but 2014 is going to be a year of cementing things. I’m most grateful for having my best friend back to see me through my many life tribulations, coping with my ridiculous questions and debates, but also to ground me whilst I kinda struggled with this idea of L o n d o n.
I lost faith in my career and regained it, I dealt with unnecessary drama and put a back burner to a passion, I cemented friendships and lost others in their place, and I also made awful decisions and toyed (badly…) with two not-really-relationships. I’ve grown up a lot but also continued with my many… niche interests, I’ve been lucky to work with a multitude of amazing fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands, I met even more amazing bloggers, saw best friends graduate, laughed until the early hours of the morning, managed countless all-nighters, watched a record-breaking number of anime and dramas (even for me!), travelled again to the other side of the world, surprised my best friend and cat with a weekend away… heck I even photographed Anna Wintour, Cara Delevingne, Jourdan Dunn and Olivia blimmin’ Palermo at LFW! 2013, you’ve been a good egg actually.
How was your 2013? Any tips for focusing towards an overall more positive 2014?