I think by now we’ve all ascertained that January is a trial run for the year, designed to challenge us what with lack of alcohol if you’re doing Dry January, with lack of money because of terribly timed paydays, and an all-round comedown from the festivities of Christmas. Yup, I went there with the C-word. February, however, February is fuelled by love and it’s where we really decide to get up and at it (not like that!) with our goals and vision for the year ahead, whatever that may be.
Ready to design your life for the year ahead?
Your Three Focuses
In 2018, I’m aiming to be a little more focused. I struggle with trying to do everything, all at once and that needs to stop. You know, eating lunch at my desk, writing chunks of a blog post whilst on a train, listening to podcasts at the gym, the list is endless. What I learned from being my own boss is that nobody can do everything on their own. I’ve been ticking off plenty of mini milestones simply by condensing my annual wishes right the way down. To three focal points.
By focusing on three ideals for the entire year, you’ll have a much better chance at getting to exactly where you want to be for those three goals, as opposed to chipping away at twenty. Perhaps you’d like to grow your blog, to be a better friend, to stop being late to social engagements, to pursue a new hobby, or something else. Write down those three focuses in column form and let’s begin designing your life.
A few ideas for your 2018 focus:
- Personal reflection: becoming a better you by resting more, spending time alone, spending time with friends/family, forming good habits.
- Career development: earning a promotion, hustling for a pay rise, switching to a new path.
- Exploration: visiting new cities and/or countries, trying new cuisines.
- Creating a home: house renovations, purchasing your first home, forming good habits for chores, cooking from scratch.
Focuses down, let’s set some tiny milestones. Look at your first focus and brainstorm some ways in which you could make it a reality. Much like the next average twenty-something woman, I find great clarity and happiness in being able to tick things off a list. Here’s one of my focuses for the year and a small snippet of my tiny milestones (a.k.a. how I plan to achieve it):
Focus: To develop Daisybutter.
- Run Twitter/Facebook/Instagram polls to ascertain best days to post according to my readers.
- Create an editorial calendar.
- Brainstorm themes for fortnightly newsletter.
- Install a new blog design.
- Grow monthly readership by 5%.
- Grow monthly readership by 10%.
- Grow monthly readership by 15%.
- Reach 5,000 Instagram followers.
- Reach 6,000 Instagram followers.
The idea is that these smaller milestones make the bigger goal more achievable to reach and less daunting. I find it makes it more fun to tick off smaller goals, no matter how small, and I feel like I’ve made some real progress too.
My 2018 Life, Designed
So, without further ado, here is my life, designed for 2018. I’ve included simply a snippet into my milestones to keep some aspects of my world private, but thought this preview would serve as some small inspiration to your own.
To create a more harmonious living approach.
- Save £XX,XXX.
- Visit Amsterdam.
- Visit Lisbon.
- Clean my home properly and regularly. (Stop ‘saving’ the deep clean for once a month.)
- Buy stainless steel straws.
- Open letters and emails in a timely manner and file/respond as needed.
- Cut down on plastic and disposable use/waste.
- Buy a KeepCup.
To make my business more profitable and more manageable.
- Introduce the Pomodoro technique to working-from-home days.
- Download a Pomodoro app.
- Treat Daisybutter as a client.
- Spend Monday morning planning my schedule instead of diving in head first.
- Refresh the Tartle Copywriting website.
- Schedule in one blog meeting per month.
To better myself and give myself headspace.
- Squat 30kg.
- Squat 50kg.
- Squat 70kg.
- Devote phone-free time to Harvey.
- Spend an afternoon each week, reading a magazine.
- Read and finish two books a month.
- Walk Milo every single day, no matter the weather.
- Write by hand.
How will you be designing your life for 2018? Share your priorities and focuses with me in the comments below.