It’s no secret that come summer, my wardrobe immediately gets a refresh by way of white clothing as far as the eye can see. True, I wear lighter hues like pink, blue, green and grey throughout the year, but there’s something about fresh Wimbledon whites that have me feeling perfectly prepped for the season. And when it came to getting my suitcase ready for 5 days in Spain, I found the perfect piece for beach date nights…
Meet the knot front dress, a.k.a. my saviour for the summer. And yes, it does indeed have pockets.
1. It makes the perfect blank canvas.
Easily my favourite thing about packing an all-white dress in my vacation repertoire is that it’ll provide you with a versatile base with which to create some sweet outfits. Whilst a dress is a brilliant throw-on piece for holidays, a white dress will also give you a blank canvas to dress up with a little silk scarf in your hair, vibrantly coloured pom-pom sandals or an embroidered basket bag. It’s an ideal ‘reservation’ dress in that it’ll sit in your hotel wardrobe (or in your suitcase!) until an impromptu date night/beach trip/market wander lands on the agenda and you need something to wear that isn’t a bikini, a kaftan or jeans-and-a-T-shirt.
Knot front cami dress (similar here) ∙ Scalloped edge flat sandals ∙ Round straw bag ∙ miu miu Sunglasses (prescription lenses available!)
2. It’ll feel fresh and show off your tan!
I wore this dress for a wander down to the beach front followed by a picnic as the sun set. It made for the dreamiest of date nights, not least because my wonderful other half streamed Love Island for us as we chowed down on guac and chips! With a sweet knotted front and easy, A-line fit, this cut of dress is perfect for feeling fresh yet put-together, especially if you’ve been sweating up a storm while working on the tan. And that’s the other thing — white is the perfect way to show off any hint of a tan that you’ve earned whilst away. (Note: Always wear sunscreen kids! I wear SPF50, but anything SPF20 is great.)
3. It instantly sets off your holiday photos.
Lastly, by keeping your outfits clean, cool and crisp in snow white shades, you’ll instantly be able to set off your travel and holiday Instagram snaps without worrying about clashing with those beautiful bright murals and natural hues of the globe. Hey, it’s 2018! I couldn’t not include a nod to the Instagram travel frenzy, could I?
Tips for keeping your whites white:
- Always wash your whites separately from other colours, including pales!
- Whether or not your clothing is stained, use a pre-wash spray on your clothing before washing.
- Although some clothing can stand 2-3 wears before a wash, whites are a little more high maintenance and tend to need washing every time, as sweat, deodorant and other products can cause your clothes to yellow or grey.
- Add just under a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to your laundry. Be wary as it may smell!
- For stains, combine a little baking soda and warm water to create a paste. Work into the stain with a clean, old toothbrush and allow it to soak for 10-15 minutes before proceeding to wash in hot water.