This post is proudly produced in partnership with today’s sponsor, Millesima.
With over a week of sunshine under our belts, I think we can safely claim that the British summer is firmly en route! Last weekend I finally made some wardrobe swaps (I picked some pieces up on Depop, as well as from H&M and New Look) and my weekly meal plans are also taking a lighter turn.
Harvey and I always make time for a weekday and a weekend date night. As both of us are introverts and persistent homebodies through and through, we try and make sure one of these is out-out and the other can be a quiet one in.
And on this occasion, we made a delicious summer dinner to enjoy with a bottle of red wine and, fittingly, the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones.
Our vegan aubergine and sun-blushed tomato tart is ridiculously simple to make and is ideal to pop on whilst you catch up after work on the day’s events. It goes incredibly well with the Ségla 2012 Margaux wine, a deliciously full-bodied, almost creamy red. We had the honour of selecting it on the Millesima website, who I am partnering with for today’s post. The site is a refined edit of fine wines, each rated by a house expert to guarantee a quality pick. Plus, they’re based just a stone’s throw away from where Harvey grew up in France.
The Margaux hails from the Chateau Rauzan-Ségla vineyard, owned by CHANEL(!!), and was truly a delight to drink. Could I *be* any more on-brand?! It’s the second growth of the famous wine, featuring fragrant notes of ripe fruits, violets and cedar. We’ve already decided to invest in another bottle in a few months’ time to celebrate moving into our house together. We’re nothing if not prepared!
Find our (equally delicious) summer wine-pairing recipe below…
- 1 sheet Jus-Rol Puff Pastry (or unbranded, but double-check the ingredients)
- 1 aubergine
- Handful on-the-vine cherry tomatoes
- Handful shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil (ours was garlic-infused)
- Pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 Ségla 2012 Margaux red wine
- Optional: vegan Parmesan of choice
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Unroll your puff pastry. The Jus-Rol one that we swear by comes with a pre-attached baking sheet which is why we love it so much!
- Wash and slice your aubergine into 1cm thick ‘rounds’.
- Add to a baking tray along with the tomatoes and drizzle a glug of olive oil on top. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes. You could also grill them if that option is available to you.
- Whilst you wait, fold over the edges of your pastry sheet to create a tart.
- Chop up your shallots into wedges and set aside.
- Finely chop your garlic cloves, basil and nuts and add to a small bowl with some olive oil. Stir well – this will be your easy pesto topping. You could add in some grated vegan cheese now as well. We like the Tesco Free From Parmesan alternative.
- Add aubergine and tomatoes to the pastry sheet, along with the shallots. Carefully spread the pesto across its entirety.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with a glass of red wine and to boost the meal, add rosemary garlic roast potatoes and asparagus tips.
How do you like to enjoy a glass of red? Let me know in the comments below, plus discover more delicious Bordeaux wines over at Millesima.