If there’s one thing I’ve been enjoying this spring, it has to be the delicious Dalgona coffee. Inspired by a South Korean sweet treat — ‘Dalgona’ or ppopgi is a honeycomb toffee sponge — Dalgona coffee has reached the upper echelons of social media fame for its cute cloud-like appearance, and because we all have a little extra time on our hands.
Fellow coffee enthusiasts will enjoy this strong coffee variation, but it’s probably not for everyone. We’ve been making them weekly on Friday afternoons, in a bid to divide our groundhog weekdays from our groundhog weekends. They’re strong, undeniably delicious, and a great treat during isolation. And, here’s my vegan Dalgona coffee recipe, if you’re interested in giving it a go!
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (we like the L’or Carte Noire Dark & Intense)
- 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 250ml oat or almond milk
- Ice cubes
- Optional: a glug of Bailey’s dairy-free almond drink
You’ll also need:
- Whisk (we used an electric whisk)
- Mixing bowl
- Short glasses with a wide top
- Place two tablespoons each of instant coffee, sugar and hot water into a mixing bowl.
- Using a whisk or electric whisk, beat until it forms semi-stiff peaks, similar to meringue.
- Pop ice cubes into a glass, and pour over your milk (and Bailey’s, if you want a weekend treat!).
- Use an ice-cream scoop or tablespoon to carefully add your coffee mix on top. Et voila!
Have you tried this viral trend yet? Tag me in your creations so I can see them!