In that typical Michelle manner, I’m currently reaching deep into the creativity pools to find a magical way to talk about the setting I’m in right now. And there isn’t one, truth be told. I’m sat, in my underwear and gym top, sweating bullets and attempting (badly) to weather the heatwave. So there you are.
Gosh I’d been anticipating this week for ages. I haven’t taken some time off in ages, and working from home hasn’t helped. I’m on annual leave for just over a week and it’s already been great. Of course we aren’t planning to go anywhere, Harvey and I might pop to another town or city for a little day trip, but we aren’t convinced by the eased lockdown measures just yet! So far, I’ve been indulging my new candle-making obsession, have finished a book, finally sorted out my mess of a bedroom, and had my nails done.
Mama Daisy’s birthday afternoon tea
We celebrated my Mum’s birthday yesterday with a homemade afternoon tea spread! She desperately wanted to go out for one, but we were adamant on not adding to the risk, and so my sister and I crafted a menu and set to work making the cutest little cakes and sandwiches.
Mum and Louise had Parma ham and buffalo mozzarella sandwiches, Scotch egg halves, clotted cream and scones, and smoked salmon on toast ends, and Harvey and I had vegan halloumi and red pepper, and vegan bacon and cheese sandwiches! It was the loveliest weekend treat, and so much fun to put together!
I got Lirika Matoshi-inspired nails!!
‘Getting my nails done’ is a somewhat new concept to me. I used to treat myself to a manicure once every few months, but developed a bit of an obsession with having fresh gels back in January. In fact, it made me feel so good about myself that I made it a 2020 resolution to get my nails done every month. Cue lockdown. I’m really glad that I can get back out to see my nail lady again now. Jo operates from a one-guest only studio, and I feel really safe visiting her. On Thursday I headed over and we opted for the most adorable Lirika Matoshi-inspired strawberry nails. I’m absolutely besotted with them! If you’re a Hertfordshire local, you can keep up with her designs and bookings via the Paint Box Beauty Instagram.
Links I’ve Loved
- I’ve really been enjoying watching Lydia’s vlogs throughout lockdown. Although her content isn’t what I’d usually consume, it’s been really nice to watch as she develops a gardening addiction!
- Twirling Pages is one of my favourite book blogs, and their monthly book club pick looks great.
- I can’t wait to make this Vegan Ranch Dressing by Love & Lemons.
- This post about the emotional labour one feels as the only Black person on a team was incredibly eye-opening to me. As a ‘person of colour’, I have my fair share of grim work experiences, but this article only serves to make me want to push even harder in my offline activism.
- Natalie Leanne shared a post all about nurturing creativity, something I think we could all do with an added dose of.
- International travel is still a long way off for us, but Zoella have us covered with their selection of top UK camping staycations.
Posts This Week
How was your week? What did you do in the heatwave?