This week has felt like wading through treacle and laying down on marshmallow fluff all at the same time. Like much of the world, I’m sure, the gravity of the health pandemic we’re all facing has weighted on me enormously. Whilst everybody throw phrases out noncommittally like ‘our new normal’ and Earth does continue to pivot, it feels as though everything is turning on a far slower axis. I liked it at first; liked the forcible encouragement from the planet itself to wind things down. But I can’t help but live in a constant state of feeling really fragile and I know a lot of you feel the same way.
Life in Lockdown
I’ve done the bare minimum this week, outside of my work commitments. Client projects and briefs have been meticulously worked on, edited and sent off with fingers (always) tightly crossed. I’ve received the kindest feedback in return, and felt giddy with gratitude that I even have clients after the fallout of the past week. Aside from that, lockdown has been… a ride.
Having Animal Crossing: New Horizons to play daily has been nothing short of a huge relief. I love the Animal Crossing franchise, and was even sponsored by Nintendo UK to create some content around the New Leaf launch back in 2013. The soul-soothing music, familiar characters and thoughtful gameplay has been a welcome tonic. Especially because I seem to be completely unable to truly sink into a novel and read at the moment. That’s when you know it’s bad! But I’m trying to give myself grace and remember that these are extraordinary times, times that I hope we’ll never have to face again in our lifetimes. I’m taking daily walks with Milo, and I’ve limited my social media and news usage, which has helped, but I’m finding I have no headspace at all to get on with the things I want to.
Making Vegan Dalgona Coffee 달고나 커피
… Guys, I couldn’t resist. I joined the masses and made Dalgona coffee on Friday. It was surprisingly easy to do, and is absolutely worth the effort. Nothing quite beats South Korean café culture (I miss Seoul so much!) and this newly viral treat doesn’t disappoint. I vegan-ised it with some oat milk, and am totally going to be instating these as a weekly at-home café treat!
- Add two tablespoons each of instant coffee granules, sugar and hot water into a mixing bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to combine until it creates a cloud-like foam. It should form stiff peaks.
- Pop a few ice cubes (you could make coffee ice cubes to amplify this!) into a glass, and add oat milk. I used Oatly Barista, but I think almond milk could be delicious too!
- Use a tablespoon or ice-cream scoop to add your coffee cloud mixture on top.
Revisiting My Blog Archives
Last week I shared that I was changing my blog schedule. I wanted to be more mindful of how much I’m putting out into the world when every media platform is already chock-a-block with UGC, and that still stands. I’m pouring, or attempting to pour, all efforts into other things in my life, and I’d also been planning to take some time to revisit my blog archives.
When you’ve been blogging consistently for over 10 years (hi, I’m a blogger dinosaur!), there are certain evergreen posts and cornerstone content that pop up with high traffic week on week. So this week I’ve been making a note of all of these, along with how to improve each post! Some have had links updated and removed, others have been tweaked for SEO, and I’ve even managed to reshoot some so that they’re more in line with my current work. If you’re wanting to do ‘something’ on your blog but haven’t got any new posts to share, I really recommend doing this!
Links I’ve Loved
- My own content creation hasn’t been too affected by the pandemic, as I’m always shooting cosy, homebody content indoors, but if you’re not used to it, Yossy’s guide to content creation during self-isolation is a must-read.
- Liv has started a WFH wardrobe and diary series, and her first WFH outfit is an absolutely dream. Those. Photos.
- Although we might not be travelling anywhere any time soon, I really liked this reusable on-the-go kit post by A Beautiful Mess. One to bookmark.
- We baked Cupful of Kale’s Double Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Frosting earlier in the week, and it was delicious!
- And lastly, Zoella shared three pimped-out pesto recipes, including a vegan one.
Posts This Week
How was your week? And, if you’re in the UK, how are you finding lockdown?