This week zoomed by at a rate of knots. Perhaps it was the long work days (July is always slightly hectic when you work in or with marketing because Christmas prep is at crunch time) or perhaps it was that I finally had ~appointments~ to get to. Either way, I’m happy to be perched at my desk, listening to the 1 by Taylor Swift and with, you guessed it, a freshly brewed coffee by my side.
This week, I even managed to finish reading a book for the first time in absolutely ages, which I’m taking as a good sign that my focus and general concentration span is slowly returning. On the whole, July has felt truly restorative for me and like I’ve mentioned in the past week’s worth of nostalgic, introspective posts, I feel like I’m finding my feet.
Join the Daisybutter × Moonacre Discord server + Animal Crossing updates!
Of course I’ve spent more-time-than-recommended playing the new Animal Crossing: New Horizons update, this week. I’m personally really enjoying the rolling updates approach that Nintendo have taken with this game. It’s helping to keep it fresh and sits well with how most people play these days. The new update builds on the earlier summer one: Luna has returned with her Dream Suite, the weekly August fireworks are back, and there are new items to play with! I’ve already uploaded my island, if any of you play and fancy swinging by a dream of Moonacre (DA-6552-7939-9130).
On that note, you’re all very welcome to join my Daisybutter × Moonacre Discord server. I’m so proud of how the server has grown and I absolutely love the community we’re building there. It isn’t solely for Animal Crossing ventures, we also have general channels and blog chat channels, and you can mute any channels you’re not interested in. It’s become a safe haven for me whilst I’ve enjoyed a break from my ‘main’ social media platforms.
Brand new hair
Your girl is currently feeling like a brand new woman because she finally got a haircut yesterday!! Oh yes, quarantine barnet is no more and I feel ready to take on the world. It actually much to write home about (usual collarbone-length bob), but somehow it feels important to make the occasion after almost half a year spent indoors. Isn’t it odd how something as simple and mundane as hair can be such an intrinsic part of your sense of self?
Have you guys ventured out for haircuts and such yet?
Chinese representation during the pandemic
Something that I’ve been incredibly vocal about offline and a little online before my social media break is the negative representation of Chinese people throughout the coronavirus pandemic. I’ve written many essays about the lack of representation for Chinese people in the UK, and it’s been a kick in the teeth to see more Chinese people than ever on my screens… all to accompany negative COVID-19 news stories and nothing more. I can’t even describe to me how much I would love to see someone that looks like me on TV or in a film or magazine that has a real storyline. Not the token Asian. Not playing into stereotypes. Certainly not to purport the thought that Chinese people are carriers and spreaders of COVID-19, especially when we know this isn’t true.
My friend Viv started a petition a few weeks ago, and it’d mean a lot to the whole British-Chinese community if you could sign and share it.
Links I’ve Loved
- Angela’s stationery blog has been one of my favourites for years and I was thrilled not only to see her back, but sharing a Papier bullet journal post.
- Jessie, or sunbeamsjess, wrote a round-up of the books she read in June along with her reviews and it’s well worth a read. Her reviews are always beautifully written and balanced, with a keen sense of real things in the world and how they’re woven into literature.
- I’m finally starting to get back to podcasts, and Georgie has shared her favourite pods for a dose of everyday whimsy.
- I’m desperate to recreate a vegan version of Andrea Nguyen’s Perfect Banh Mi, as spotted on A Cup of Jo.
- Anika’s monthly bookish round-up is here, and it’s well worth a lil read!
- 50 Fresh Tomato Recipes via Love & Lemons
- And if you’re looking for a fun Book Club to join, Blogger’s Bookshelf are reading ‘a book with sunshine or clouds on the cover’ in August!
Posts This Week
How was your week? Have you dived into the latest ACNH update yet?