Spring has finally reached us in England. Firstly with cherry blossoms blooming here, there and everywhere (I’ve been excitedly adding updates to my Instagram Stories on each morning’s dog walk), and secondly with the clocks finally going forwards and promising us longer days. Yay! I never thought much of Seasonal Affective Disorder, but even I’m beginning to believe that is completely messed with my mood the last month or so. I’m SO ready for some warmer weather and to be able to wear outfits that aren’t shrouded in coats and knitted accessories, and this week’s ‘Currently Coveting’ edit is a good example of that.
In other news, I’ve been struck ill all week with one of those ‘not actually ill, just feel crap’ things. I was tucked in bed way before 9pm each evening, which is completely unlike me, but I did manage to find some nasal strips to help me breathe properly and hit the gym. Honestly, who even am I? I compiled an awesome upper body workout that I did on Wednesday evening and it’s definitely one I’ll be referring to time and time again. Anyway, let’s get on with this weekend’s Sundaze proceedings…
The Assassination of Gianni Versace
A few of the girls at one of the offices I freelance at mentioned that there was an American Crime Story series newly released on BBC iPlayer, this time about the Gianni Versace case. In case you didn’t know, Gianni was the fashion designer behind Versace before his untimely death and brutal assassination back in 1997. The Assassination of Gianni Versace is a fictional series based on the story and I’m finding it such a great watch! It’s good to remember that it isn’t based on what actually happened, but is based on a book that recounts a pieced-together version of the day.
Um, so I am absolutely LOVING the Glossier Lidstars. They were released earlier this month and while some people felt they were gimmicky, others didn’t rate them at all, and others bypassed the launch completely after being let down by Solution. I had a little credit to spend and so I picked up a duo: Fawn and Moon.
Fawn is described by Glossier as ‘a cool, smoky taupe with violet and neutral gold pearls’, while Moon is ‘the sheerest cream base with blueish opalescent glimmer’. It goes without saying that Fawn is my go-to product at the moment. It’s quite cool-toned and purplish – more purple than taupe I’d say – but I find that one swipe across each eyelid and blended in with my ring finger gives a beautiful wash of subtle colour. I’ve worn it 5 days out of 7 this week! Moon is a little tougher to work with, it’s quite harsh on my light olive skintone, but I’ve been dabbing just the smallest amount on the inner corners of my eyes. On the whole, I totally recommend the Lidstar. (Tempted by Cub next.)
I’m running the Race for Life again!
My sister and I are running the Race for Life 5k again this year! We had such an incredible time taking part in 2016 that we knew we wanted to do it again. This year, we’re taking our training a little more seriously and I have to say, it’s such a game-changer to train for something even as ‘small’ as a 5k. I hate cardio of any sort, but making pals with the treadmill again is feeling a-okay once more.
I would be absolutely over the moon if you could support us with a little donation. Our JustGiving page is right here!
My Upper Body Workout
Like I mentioned earlier, on Wednesday I put together a pretty solid upper body workout. I have myriad workout apps on my phone because I find it hard to improvise on workouts when machines or gym areas are busy. Anyway! Here is the routine that I did on Wednesday and that I’ll be using and building on over the next few weeks:
- 10 mins on cross-trainer (warm up)
- 2k run on treadmill, 1.5 incline
- 45 secs rest in between each exercise
- Shoulder Press: 10kg – 10×2, 15kg – 10×2
- Chest Press: 10kg – 10×1, 15kg – 10×1, 20kg – 4×1
- Lat Machine wide-stance pulldown: 20kg – 10×2, 25kg – 10×2
- Pec Fly: 5kg – 10×2, 10kg, 10×2
- Arm Curl (bicep curl): 5kg – 10×2
- Arm Extension (tricep curl): 5kg, 10×1, 10kg, 10×1
- Single Arm Rows (w/ 4kg dumbbells): 10×3 each arm
- Twisting Alternating Arm Curls (w/ 6kg dumbbells): 15×2
- Double Arm Swings (8kg kettlebell): 16×1
- Stretches to cool down
Adjust weights according to what you can manage. Remember the rule is to know your limits, but still push yourself a little more with each workout!
Links I’ve Loved:
- This post about not loving your job was an interesting read, following a week where I’ve had several quarter-life crises and considered packing it all in in pursuit of a different path.
- Gracie shared a great article about learning to exercise without a weight loss goal. I’m highly aware of how much new fitness content I’m sharing at the moment and am constantly considering ways to keep it neutral. Personally? I’ve been working on physique as opposed to losing weight and have been slowly gaining muscle mass (about 6% so far!), which of course means putting weight on. I kinda love it.
- You all know that I not-so-secretly hate advice articles that are full of fluff: Chloe from The Little Plum eloquently discusses why there is too much advice on the Internet. She ain’t wrong.
- As somebody that has always lived in small bedrooms as well as that is an interiors enthusiast, this article on Ella’s blog, Coco’s Tea Party, made for a great read. The first post in her apartment tour series, I simply can’t wait to see more of her first home.
- This vegan recipe from Cider with Rosie sounds like an absolute dream! Plus, it was written in collaboration with Le Creuset, which is dreamy in itself. Go and show Rosie some love!
- Finally, let me direct you to a post over on my business’ blog. We wrote about the business practices that you should adopt, over on the Tartle Copywriting site. I’m also taking bookings for April and May, hire me for some words!